PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Friday, September 3, 2010

Niquinohomo. Brujos.

Today was a very exciting day. I'm probably not gonna be able to blog for a while after this, so I'll try to be as detailed as possible...maybe.
We did a short overview of the language training program we're gonna be going through for the next 11 weeks. Then we got thrown into a classroom of 7-8 people that had placed into our Spanish level range, in order to be assessed more and split up one more time, so that we could be placed into training towns and go through training with people in our same level.
For the next 11 weeks I will be living in a town near Masaya called Niquinohomo. I know. I love that name. I feel like Pocahontas. And I will be training with Julie and Sam. My host family includes a mom and a dad and two sisters, 17 and 18, and abuelitos (grandparents) which I am really excited about.
Then we had this "surprise activity" and they had gotten us tour boats and we went around Lake Nicaragua, which is the biggest lake in Central America, which has freshwater bull sharks, and there are tiny islands everywhere and there were monkeys that climbed into our boat and ate lollipops and their names were Lucy and Pedro and Cappuccino.
Our tour guide was blasting Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga.
Then we had dinner and we threw this little party after because we all really like each other and are sad to be parting, and we learned some salsa and merengue and I had a couple margaritas.
Then I showed them some raas (not just because of the margaritas okay) and Julie wants to teach it to our youth group.
I forgot to mention, we have TWO young married couples in our group. I think that's really cool. They are really cool.
Okay, life is going to get really different now, and scary, every day is going to be intimidating, but this is what I'm here for.
Good night.

2 comments:

  1. Loving the posts so far. Also loving that you're enjoying the experience so much already! ....and your host family is going to be amazing, I feel it. Love ya and kick butt out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yo fui a una clase de cumbia en al gymnasio universitario, muuuuy divertido!!

    ReplyDelete