PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Monday, September 20, 2010

"Conmigo, nadie se queda con hambre!"

Yesterday I went to the Laguna de Apoyo with some other trainees and some of their siblings. Laguna de Apoyo is this little lake in the middle of Masaya, which is a volcanic crater. We hiked into a volcano and went swimming in it! Anyway, it was amazing. I got home at 2pm, starving, and no one was home except Papa Luis (mi abuelo)...so I try to be casual when I say "hay comida?" and he´s like "no, yo tampoco he comido" and everyone was gone to hang out in Masatepe at my aunt´s house and no one had left him anything. I, on the other hand, had indeed said I wouldnt be home for lunch but food ended up not happening. So I was like, "oh okay, esta bien" thinking maybe I would try to cook us something as I walk to put my stuff in my room, and when I come back out he´s like "Quiere comer frijole y queso y huevito frito?" and I was like "Usted va a cocinar?" and he´s like yeah! So my grandpa and I cooked lunch together. That night he also cooked me dinner. And proceeded to compliment his food profusely. That was the best lunch I´ve had in Niquinohomo.

We finally went to the instituto today to meet the english teachers and hopefully get some more publicity for our youth group, and we are going to observe a class tomorrow HOPEFULLY.

I have been kind of a slacker in terms of reading and studying for the past week but that is going to change.

Julie and Sam kept raving about chocobananas and I finally tried one yesterday and I think what makes it taste good is that it only costs 1 cordoba.
Oh and the POPS equivalent here is Eskimo (Pops was an ice cream place in costa rica)

Every day I become more aware of how capable I am of doing this and how hard it´s going to be.

1 comment: