PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Antes que te vayas dame un beso"

I really don´t have enough willpower to be detailed in these posts, but I´m getting rather attached to the kids in my youth group, particularly the 5 that are truly regulars, and if they get lost in the crowd when we get more kids from the instituto the three of us trainees have agreed to hold separate meetings especially for them. Gladly.

I never wrote about this, I think, but on the way home from Managua a couple weeks ago I met a girl in the bus who overheard me talking english to another aspirante (I love throwing in spanish words) and we got to talking (in english) and she told me she was an architect who was going back to school to learn english so she could find a better job. And she needed someone to practice english with. Well this was rather perfect, and we asked her to speak at our youth group meeting about why learning english would be important and applicable to them. That day we only had 9 people, but anyway she is the sweetest. We are going to buy her a present.

The other day we observed another trainees first teaching experience, he did amazingly, but it made me realize that its going to take me a lot of practice to get that role right.

I went to mass on thursday, and it was pretty long and boring, and the priest was rather critical, but one thing i love about catholic mass is the "saludo de paz" where everyone has to go around and hug or shake hands and say "peace be with you" or something similar. That should happen all the time.

Being Indian and trying to represent the US is kind of a struggle all the time. When I try to explain that Im american and then people eventually just want to know that Im indian and forget that im american and then just think i came from india.

I have spent far too much time on the internet. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. yup, being Indian-American is quite puzzling. I end up saying "Soy de los estados unidos per mis padres son de India", if the conversation continues beyond that I explain that I've been there many times and know the language etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your title is one of my fave songs all summer! <3

    ReplyDelete