PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Saturday, November 27, 2010

Day 5: Falling for Dolores...among other things...(cheezy, I know, but you might have to get used to it...)

This is what I have been doing for the past 5 days: going for long walks, reading, studying spanish, coloring, reviewing the things I have to get done my first 2-3 months here and trying to make a schedule or routine, texting, learning how to cook, kind of learning how to sew clothes, although I may not be as interested in that as I thought I would be, trying to build up the courage to start introducing myself to one or two families a day, starting with my brother´s who I don´t know as well as I should. This might sound lazy, but school´s out, and I´m supposed to be spending summer vacation getting to know my community and its people and its needs. Today I´m going to a Nicaraguan baby shower!! We´ll see how that goes.
Yesterday afternoon, a cute, chubby little girl with brown pigtails and beautiful eyes walked straight through my house, into my backyard, where I was sitting in a rocking chair studying Spanish, and proceeded to start a conversation with me. No one was around, and when my mom finally showed up she didn´t recognize her or know where she came from either. Then the little girl ran off. OMG she was so cute. That probably made my day yesterday.
There are really beautiful roads on the outskirts of Dolores but I guess it´s risky for me to walk around them by myself.

Ummm...I´m making myself a schedule for when i´m gonna be online, which is 7-8pm (Nica time which is 2 hours ahead of cali time) on tuesday and thursday, and 10-1130 am saturday mornings. In case you ever wanna skype or whatnot.

There is a more serious post about Nicaraguan culture, specifically regarding gender, coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment