PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Saturday, December 18, 2010

"That`s a tick, I`m gonna set it on fire..."

I always find ways to stress myself out with work when I am supposed to have nothing to do.
This week, I helped out kind of part-time at this summer camp in Masatepe (a municipality of Masaya, a good 45 minute, 8 cordoba bus ride) and ended up helping teach one of the "basic 2" groups and it was fun! One afternoon I went to Niquinohomo to hang out for a couple hours, another I went to Diriamba (the biggest municipality of Carazo, right next to Dolores) to meet with the other Carazo TEFL volunteers to work on some funding proposal for the distribution of this TEFL manual....it`s a long story, anyway, I also found myself a running partner! It`s kind of running/walking, but it`s better than what I have been doing in terms of exercise, which is nothing. I`ve definitely gotten a little pudgier since I`ve been here...oh well. My community English classes here in Dolores are up and running, although I`m having a hard time figuring out how to divide it because people are at different levels. So then I`m gonna have two of those classes, but everyone wants it twice a week, AND my host sister and my counterpart are on my back about starting a KIDS class too, so that will have to happen eventually. ALSO, the volunteer in Diriamba has been giving free summer classes to university students at UNAN in Jinotepe (the department capital of Carazo, also right next to Dolores), and she`s gonna be too busy to do it the three saturdays in January, so I`ve observed two of her classes (it would have been three but I fell on my head one of the Saturdays) and I`m gonna take them over starting January 8th. This means that I need to study my English grammar HARDCORE before then, and I don`t have convenient university libraries to run away to for silence and a place to cram. We`ll see how that goes. I`m pretty sure my whole first year of service is going to be like this, signing myself up for things that I`m not quite sure I know how to do. I`m also going to have to start saying no to people, especially when school starts.
My sister got a puppy, her kids named it Doky. It`s cute, it doesnt have a tail.
I totally got into Soy tu DueƱa like, the final week of its final season, but its cool. Valentina and Jose Miguel live happily ever after, obviously.

2 comments:

  1. My mom's watching it right now and she wants me to tell her what happens...I juss denied her the end lol

    ReplyDelete