PC

Peace Corps Volunteer Experiences: August 31, 2010 to November 24, 2012


Friday, July 15, 2011

"no voy a dejar que te pasa nada"

Just got back from four grueling days of in-service training. Tuesday through Thursday we had lectures and workshops with our counterparts, and Thursday to Friday it was just TEFL 54 volunteers. I learned a lot, and am so excited to start the new semester fresh with all of the changes me and Tania are planning to make in our classes in terms of encouraging more participation (in English) and discipline, which is, to me, the biggest issue. Actually, there are lots of big issues. Like class always being cancelled for some assembly or meeting or random day off. Like paperwork for the Ministry of Education that takes priority over teaching a class. Anyways, I'm still excited to start implementing all of this stuff, and being MORE for my 2 counterparts (Tania and Mercedes), and for Cesar and for Jose Antonio and Ramiro and Gilberto and Absalom and all of the English teachers in Diriamba and Dolores. As well as for Michael and Carlos and Melvin and Tatiana and Daniela and Stefania and Stefania's little sister and Katherine and Guadalupe and Anyeli and Ayaris and Gioconda and Gabriela and Olga and Vladimir and Sergio and Belkis and Eduardo and Freddy and Yasmina and Martha Elisa and her little daughter for my awesome bosses and fellow volunteers and finally for the incoming TEFL 57 trainees! I have learned a lot this semester and I can't wait to improve myself.

Last Saturday I woke up with diarrhea followed an hour or two later by stomach pain so I did a stool test and discovered I had amoebas. I'm blaming the increase of flies in my kitchen and EVERYWHERE. I had to take one pill four times a day for three days, and another one three times a day for 10 days! For the amoeba BABIES! Yuck. I have just finished day four of the second kind. I really don't like pills. And I think these pills are messing with my stomach a bit too. There is always something. But I did sign up for Peace Corps and all that goes with it. Half of the people at in-service training were sick with parasites or bacteria or some gastro-intestinal issue.

I keep forgetting to take my camera everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment